Sunday, March 28, 2010

Rabbit Stews: It's Over


No, this is not about the UFT election campaign being over. I'll post about that later.

My marathon of reading all 4 novels in John Updike's Rabbit Angstrom series has ended. It's been a year, or more, since I decided to read the entire series when Updike died last year and once I got ahold of it I was like a dog with a bone. I stuck with it despite there was no character I really liked. But I couldn't let go. One woman told me recently she never read Updike because of his attitudes towards women. Once you start following the arc of someone's entire life it isn't easy to stop. Starting in 1959 and ending in 1990, each book covered a decade, with lots of backtracking. Lots of stream of consciousness. Deep descriptions of characters and scenery and politics and sports. I'm far from a literary critic so I won't go further. I didn't love it but Rabbit, it was nice knowing you. Sorry there wasn't a 5th novel to take us into the 21st century. I guess Updike got tired of Rabbit and his world too.

Here's the list:
Run, Rabbit, Run c. 1960
Rabbit Redux, c. 1970
Rabbit is Rich, c. 1980
Rabbit at Rest, c. 1990

No comments: