Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Insulting the UFT’s Executive Committee While Mulgrew Skips Open Mike

Guest Editorial

By Philip Nobile

I intended to hand President Mulgrew a copy of my contrarian essay on the rubber room agreement at Monday’s (May 3) Executive Committee meeting. The cover letter read:

Would you please consider publishing my essay “Out of the Rubber Room, Into the Pyre” in the New York Teacher and post it as well on Edwize?

I also request that you respond to my questions in a companion article in the same spots.

As you will read, there is widespread dissatisfaction in the TRC’s with your agreement with Chancellor Klein.

Regrettably, you chose to negotiate in complete secrecy without consulting the reassigned. You can begin to remedy this mistake by calling us to a meeting as Randi did in October 2007.

Thank you.

But the President was late for the 10-minute Open Mike that opens every meeting. Only three cabinet members were present in addition to Secretary Michael Mendel who ran the show.

I was the first of four speakers—three rubber roomers and a delegate. I had a lot to squeeze into 2 min. and 30 sec. And it would be my one and only shot. Annoyed at my routine of exposing the leadership’s many failures of nerve, Mendel changed the rules: no more serial appearances. Open Mike was closed but for a single time a term.

In Mulgrew’s absence I shifted my plan of attack. I began by noting the censorship that chokes the union, meaning the limits on speech at Executive Committee meetings and the gagged NEW YORK TEACHER which has not carried a story on TRCs since October 2007. Apparently, this was too much for a Committee member. When I said “I came here tonight …, he finished my sentence “… to insult us.”

“There is so little dissent in this body,” I replied, “that you take criticism as an insult.” Mendel asked for silence even if I was not telling the truth. (Thanks a lot, Michael.)

I went on to say that the TRC agreement was flawed by Mulgrew’s failure to consult with us rubber roomers and contrasted this neglect with the hundreds of rank and file members involved in the contract negotiations. With seconds ticking away, I mentioned my Jeffersonian request regarding publication and response in THE TEACHER and read the first of the seven questions for Mulgrew embedded in my essay: “Will you meet with current rubber roommates and seek to renegotiate terms deemed unfair by them?”

Did the assembly erupt in applause and shouts of “Long live union democracy and death to UFT surrender to corrupt DOE investigations”? You wish.

The highlight of Almost Open Mike was Elvira Sacco, a recently sprung roomer from my home port, Brooklyn’s Chapel St. TRC. She blasted the union for failing to protect teachers from the Chancellor’s rogues, daring to say. “I am ashamed to be a member of the UFT.” Now that’s an insult, but right from the heart. If the Committee was provoked, they did not reveal it.

As if on cue, Mulgrew walked in after us four Voltarians were done. Mendel stepped aside as the President gave his report. Although I resent Mulgrew’s stonewalling—he refuses to answer my emails—he seems like a nice guy. The affection from the audience was palpable. TRCs were off the table, of course. Instead he updated the meeting on the Senate’s vote on the charter cap, which he dismissed as dead-end. Then he played a smart UFT radio commercial, starting today, deploring the politics of teacher bashing in a time of crisis. He warned that the Mayor’s executive budget, to be released on Thursday, would be “a catastrophe,” adding that there was “no respect or trust” for the DOE boys in Albany. Then he dashed out. I was tempted to follow and make my case in private as he waited for the elevator. But I stayed in my seat, against type and avoiding spectacle. I left it to Mendel to pass on my papers.

A lone and friendly committeeman consented to pursue my meeting proposal with Mulgrew. I had less luck with a second committeeman, a former foxhole buddy and Chapter Leader, who once helped me thwart a sleazy principal who tried to fire me for flunking too many students. This ex-stalwart defended Mulgrew’s reluctance to discuss the TRC agreement with disgruntled roomers, saying that he was probably too busy. “But what do you really think?” I asked, “Off the record, should he meet with us?” Nothing doing. He refused to venture an opinion. “You’re better than this,” I said, recalling his past solidarity. This was a painful moment. Walking away, he replied, “You wouldn’t say that if you knew what I was doing.”


Ed Note Afterthought
Where have the New Action Exec Bd members been all this time while rubber room people have to scrounge for their 2.5 minutes?

It seems that Mulgrew (and Weingarten before him) make sure to skip the open mic opening of the meetings and only make their appearance when it is over. I'm still not sure why Nobile wants to meet with Mulgrew.

Also looks like a new Mulgrew cult of personality is beginning to grow in Unity. That will lead Mulgrew down the Weingarten path to unglory.

3 comments:

literature dissertation said...

Your blog is very informative. However, it is pretty hard task but your post and experience serve and teach me how to handle and make it more simple and manageable.
Thanks for the tips… Best regards.

english literature dissertation
| dissertations

Anonymous said...

Mulgrew is the same as RW. They loved to come late to the meetings. RW did the same when we had the meeting for the ATRs -- I think she came 50 minutes late.

Anonymous said...

"L" is for loser.